Spring has arrived and now you’re thinking about some indoor spring maintenance, getting out and working in the yard, going for a hike or you just want to do something besides sit in the house. There are a few things that you can do to clean and organize that will make the days feel a bit calmer.
Let’s start with indoor spring cleaning and organizing.
- Clean out the garbage disposal with 1/2 cup of baking soda followed by one cup of white vinegar. Once the bubbles settle, pour in a pot of boiling water and let it sit for five minutes. Follow up by running cold water through the disposal to flush out any remaining debris.
- Clean off the windows and doors by cleaning the glass. If you do this on a cloudy day the sun will not cause streaks.
- Now lets tackle the garage. Get rid of things that you haven’t used lately. Throw away any unusable items and recycle what you can. Put items back on shelves and sweep the floor.
- Change the air filter in the furnace. This will keep the heating and cooling running more efficiently.
- If you have an air conditioner, this is the time to have it serviced. Soon, it will be time to use that air conditioner and you don’t want to be surprised if it doesn’t work properly.
- If you have paddle ceiling fans did you know there is a better way to have them rotate? During the spring and summer ceiling fans should rotate counterclockwise when looking up at the fan. This creates a downdraft so you feel cooler.
- If you have a fireplace you probably will not be using it during the spring and summer. Be sure to close the damper to keep out the drafts, insects, rain and animals.
Soon we’ll talk about some things do to for outside maintenance but for now, enjoy the change of the seasons.